Do you actively question the orthodoxy, convention, and dogma held by your peers and/or the broader gaming industry? Are you tired of making decisions purely based on data with no intuition? Do you enjoy the challenge of a highly dynamic ecosystem and an unpredictable industry? If so, this is the team for you!
Like all analytics teams, we believe that extracting actionable insight from data is the bedrock of good decision-making ... where we differ is in two key beliefs. First, the best decisions rely not solely on data, but also on intuition grounded in years of knowledge and experience. Second, if we only do marketing that we can easily or cleanly measure, we will fail.
If you thrive in a culture of healthy debate and are just as comfortable standing up for your ideas as you are changing your mind in the face of compelling evidence, logic, or intuition, then we want to hear from you. If you enjoy flipping seamlessly between the strategic big picture and the nuts and bolts, then we want to hear from you. If you can solve a Rubik's cube with one hand while winning a Clash Royale match with the other, it's not really relevant (but we still want to hear from you).
About the role
Food for thought: How might we measure the impact of placing a massive "Hog Rider" statue in Asia's largest underground mall? How would you decide whether we should show an ad in next year's Super Bowl? How should we think about the value of players who don't spend a cent, but contribute heavily to a game's community?
If tackling these kinds of questions gets you fired up, let's talk.
With over 70 million people playing our games every day, marketing at Supercell operates in uncharted territory, and analytics & data science are the compass. Always on the cutting edge of mobile advertising, marketers at Supercell experiment aggressively and adjust on the fly. We collect data and nurture intuition and constantly balance between the two while making strategic recommendations and tactical optimizations to guide everything from massive global multi-channel marketing campaigns to agile hyper-local experiments.
Above all, data scientists at Supercell enjoy partnering with colleagues to answer critical and difficult questions. They only care about getting to the best POV, regardless of whether that requires a rigorous statistical model, a simplistic ad hoc approach, or more likely some combination of multiple lenses. Our data scientists are not secluded Ivory Tower wizards, but collaborative problem-solvers.
The qualities we look for:
- Collaborative: you enjoy working hand-in-hand with colleagues more than not
- Strategic: you always have the strategic question in sight, and never get lost in the details or enamored with an inferior but intellectually more interesting approach
- Storytelling: You are adept at weaving compelling, thoughtful narratives from data
- Skeptical: you relish playing devil's advocate and being a professional, constructive skeptic
- Fearless: you are unafraid of uncertainty, and don't get paralyzed when grappling with tricky questions or lack of good data
- Adaptable: you are fully comfortable working in a team and industry that are constantly shifting and evolving
- Develop and improve statistical models to guide measurement and optimizations
- Pilot new methods to measure brand new types of marketing efforts
- Design and own marketing experiments in partnership with our Media team
- Bridge the gap from data and analysis to critical business decisions
- Provide a data-driven point-of-view to balance our team intuition
- BS (MS/PhD Preferred) in quantitative discipline (e.g. Math, Physics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Economics)
- 5+ years of experience translating data to insight to recommendations
- Expert analytical and problem solving skills, plus the ability to innovate and work independently
- Strong SQL skills and strong Python or R skills; familiarity with Jupyter or RStudio a plus
- Strong skills in building dashboards and visualizations (e.g Looker, Periscope, Tableau)
- Strong skills in statistical methods (e.g. hypothesis testing, time series modeling)
- Experience with Big Data technologies (AWS EMR, Spark, Presto, Hadoop, etc.) a plus
- Strong communication skills. Ability to present findings and recommendations to non-technical audiences and influence decision makers
- Experience in marketing analytics a big plus
- Passion for games and big data
We are a mobile game developer based in Helsinki, Finland, with offices in San Francisco, Tokyo, Seoul and Shanghai. Since our launch in 2010, we've released five games globally – Hay Day, Clash of Clans, Boom Beach, Clash Royale and Brawl Stars.
To make five games, we've killed dozens along the way. That's because we're obsessed with quality. Our goal is to make the best games – games that are played by millions, enjoyed for years and remembered forever. To achieve this goal, we create the best possible teams and give them the freedom and independence that are core to our success.
You might love it here...
If you love to think, talk, play and make games, Supercell is the place for you. We're made up of proactive, independent teams with the freedom to do what they think is best for their players, our games and the company at large. We know that it takes more than just independence to make great games, so we also take very good care of our people - providing them with the compensation, work environment and resources they need to succeed.